Friday 19 June 2009

Changing attitude with change in time

There was a time, when the new currency notes having picture of Gandhji were launched. I was a kid at that time, who was very much into coin collection and all. I remember one fine morning, my mom sent me to a greengrocer to buy some vegetables. He had to return me Rs. 10,. He didn't have the change nor did I have any. (I bought vegetables for Rs. 40 and gave him a Rs. 50 note, that was the only thing I had) Since it was the morning time, he had less of cash with him. As a last resort, he openened his cash box, there was one Rs. 10 note in it, with the Gandhiji picture on it. He didn't even pick it up, he returned me money in form of one Rs. 5 coin and five Rs. 1 coin. I felt sad, that he didn't gave me away that Rs. 10 note. I went home and told mom the whole incidence, she said, "You could have asked for that Rs. 10 note, saying that you collect currency notes and coins." I gave a second thought to the whole matter and decided to go back to the greengrocer and ask him for that Rs. 10 note. When I reached the greengrocer and demanded that note, he told me that even he collected coins. I returned home disappointed and narrated mom the whole story, she asked me to have patience the notes would be in circulation soon so we'll have the note in our collection too. Soon the note came into circulation and even we preserved one for our collection.

After many years (Almost 10 years I guess) today, I went to a grocer to buy some stuff. I gave him a Rs. 500 note, he opened his cash box and searched for the change. He had a number of notes there, he had to return me Rs. 400. He took 5 Rs. 100 notes out to return me the balance. out of all those notes the third Rs. 100 note was the only one, which did not have a Gandhiji picture on it, it was the older version of Rs. 100 note. He replaced the older version of Rs. 100 note to his cash box and handed me the new Rs. 100 notes, the ones with the picture of Gandhiji on them.

I stepped out of the shop wondering, how things and attitudes change with change in time. The same Gandhiji note that once was so rare and precious was now given away so easily and the one that was once very comman has now become so rare and special!

Changing attitute with change in time!

2 views:

Archana said...

Very very true! Completely agree with you. Isn't this one law of life?!:)

Trioenix said...

@ Archie

yup. tha's indeed a (brutal) law of life!