Sunday 15 March 2009

Writer's incapability?

A few days back I was having a conversation with my mom about a story that I wrote, it was In Love... accidentally. I was narrating the story to her. She was trying to predict what was going to happen next in the story (I've the same habit! Rather I think ever reader, listener or spectator has a habit of predicting-what will happen next biggrin) To my surprise, she was correct almost every time!

Later, I found a comment on an Orkut community for another story (Story Time) from a guy, who probably doesn't even know me, that he could easily predict the end.

This made me think, that if the reader could predict the end of the story is it writer's incapability? When I asked this question to my mom, she said that it was indeed 'writer's incapability' that he/she could not hold the suspense till the end. I gave more thought on the issue and then said, "In that case, for me 90% of the writers in this world are incapable. Because, I mostly predict the end and that too exactly the same as the writer has written!"

Though we ended the conversation on that note, I was not convinced with the thinking that correct prediction about the end by the reader is 'writer's incapability'. According to me it's not always a writer's incapability... it's just that might be the reader is familiar with the style of writing of the writer or may be the reader is too imaginative. Leave my issue, I perhaps don't even fall in the category of writers, because I've a long way to go. But a person who is a well known writer, some of his books are best sellers, how can he be so careless that he doesn't make an effort that his piece of writing should not be predictable?!

If you ask my opinion that is NOT the 'writer's incapability', it is the 'reader's capacity'! wink

But I want to know your opinion, I want to know what you people think about it... feel free to express your views, no matter whether you are a writer or not, no matter what or how much you read. Just post a comment and let me know what you think about the topic.

Comments invited! smile

4 views:

Saibal Barman said...

Every life has an inevitable finality...can we believe that life is predictable, meaningless and knowable...Is it incapability of the Creator or the beholder or the subject?...I don't know...I don't believe in futility in any creation..predictable or else...
For me, expression is important..just like the journey of life...where you end is know..you know not when and how...and more pertinent is how it leaves imprint upon others' mind-slate...
I would love to read anything which is rich in expression and surely never bother to predict what finally say...rather enjoy journey through it to feel how memorable would it be for the rest of my life...
Keep on writing....

Trioenix said...

@Saibal
thanku sir. every time I read ur comment, I feel motivated... thanks for encouraging me. After learning abt this predictable thing I was confused abt what I should do, but now with ur words I am reminded of why I stared writing... just for expressing... so no matter what happens and how predictable I become... I will keep on WRITING... I will keep on EXPRESSING

Swati Apte said...

I don't think that a creation's predictability is the creator's incapability....A person who is fond of reading, reads a creation because of its presentation.Sometimes it happens that we already know the story of a film, but we still go on watching the movie, because the movie has been presented very well....If people are able to predict a story, but still go on to read it, it is the writer's talent which makes people read it.

Trioenix said...

Swati

thanks a ton! similar to what I think. :)